Friday, February 24, 2012

What is it like in Bushwick, Brooklyn?

I'll be moving to NYC soon and have noticed that rents in Bushwick, Brooklyn seem to look pretty good. I was wondering what someone who lives in the area though of it. What are the amenities like (grocery stores, restaurants, bars)? How is transportation to Manhattan and so forth? Can I get around without a car? I have lived in 'transitional' (and less than transitional) hoods in DC and Baltimore so I think I have a pretty good idea of what to expect.What is it like in Bushwick, Brooklyn?
I live on the border of Bushwick and Williamsburg.



Yes, the rents are usually fairly low for this part of town. For the most part you will be able to find grocery stores, however they will be of lesser quality than what you would find in Manhattan, but for the most part they always have what I need--just not great customer service.



The transportation is fairly good if you can get close to the L train. My advice is try and find an L train stop as close as you can to Manhattan because sometimes on the weekends the trains will stop running past Lorimer. You will still be able to commute during that time, but it's usually on a shuttle bus.



The J/M/Z line also runs through Bushwick and will take you into the Lower East Side of Manhattan. The trains themselves are in poor condition, but I rarely have problems with service.



You definitely don't need a car in Bushwick. In fact I'd recommend not getting one unless you absolutey needed one.



Basically Bushwick used to be a very poor neighborhood of Brooklyn. In the past few years, yound adults have been getting priced farther and farther out of Manhattan. Originally they all moved to Williamsburg, but now that's even getting expensive, so everyone is pushing farther into Brooklyn.



I'm a young professional in my mid-20s and Bushwick fits perfectly for me. Let me know if you have anymore questions! I'd be happy to answer them. (gopher646@yahoo.com)
Bushwick is very scary.



Apartment brokers try to trap unknowing out-of-towners into moving there since it's close to williamsburg. Also, "east williamsburg" = bushwick.What is it like in Bushwick, Brooklyn?
You wanna know what is it like in Bushwick? Baghdad with NY weather.
yea, Baghdad is a good way to describe it. you can get to manhattan easier than other places, but no, run away, quickly

No comments:

Post a Comment