Friday, February 24, 2012

What salary should I ask for? (restaurant internship)?

I am thinking of changing careers from IT to being a professional baker/chef. Worked in the corporate world for 6.5 yrs. Interviewed with an owner of an upscale restaurant in Baltimore, MD. She offered me an apprenticeship at her restaurant. It's basically to get exposure and experience as to what it's like to work in a kitchen as an assistant to the baker/chef. I said I would be happy to work for free but she insists on paying me. I am not sure what price per hour to ask for. She told me to think about it and get back to her. I am thinking above minimum wage. I don't even know what the minimum wage is. What should I ask for? I don't want to be underpaid or ask for too much.What salary should I ask for? (restaurant internship)?
I know a relative who has nearly 30 years experience as a cook and never earned more than $10 an hour.



Therefore, try $11 an hour. Do not settle for minimum wage because you can't live on that wage. OTOH, if you have banked a million dollars from your IT career - maybe go for minimum wage.



BTW, an employer is not allowed to pay $0 wage.
you will be lucky to get paid for this. i suggest grab the offer and ask for minimum wage, if your contact dis approves of paying you get the training for a month then use that training and apply to other restaurants because you have gained experience!!!What salary should I ask for? (restaurant internship)?
Do some research and see what other entry level bakers are making.... Or check the newspaper for similar job descriptions to get an Idea..



good luck
I would asks for something comparable to a entry-level position. Minimum wage in your state is 6.15. I would say that your market value as someone who has worked for 6.5 years warrants you to asks for something higher than minimum wage. I would be personally be fine with asking 10 an hour during your apprenticeship. You should not underpaid or ever work for free. You are providing a service and you shall be compensated asks for 10 and you will be fine. Good LUck
Never sell yourself short. But I would think a reasonable amount would be either minimum wage if you have no training or up to $8.00 per hour with some training to gain the experience. My rule of thumb is gain versus loss. The experience is well worth the minimal income you will be receiving. So keep that in mind -- you will be starting over.

No comments:

Post a Comment