Monday, March 12, 2012

As a REALTOR, can I offer a finder's fee?

I'm new to this and I'm trying to avoid getting into trouble if I can help it.

To someone (Friend of a Friend) who gives me a listing lead that closes, can I offer let's say, dinner for two at a nice restaurant for the lead? I think I can only "write off" so much, like $25 of say $200. but what I'm asking, Is it legal to reward that lead generator or is that a kickback? a Cash reward I think is illegal.

Thanks for your responses.As a REALTOR, can I offer a finder's fee?
It is illegal. Of course you can always take anyone to dinner, but teh write off would be income tax fraud.
In Canada, a cash reward isn't illegal, not sure about USA.As a REALTOR, can I offer a finder's fee?
You could "take them to dinner", but you can't write it off. And no you can't give them any monetary value.
Ask your broker about your area. In my area we can offer incentives such as 25% of listing or selling fee for leads. We cannot go into business to get leads for realtors (bird dogging). But leads coming from satisfied clients, friends etc. it good.
If you do don't get caught.



Check RESPA Laws...Real Estate Settlement and Procedures Act. If you are a Licensed Realtor you'd know the answer because RESPA is a federal law.

No comments:

Post a Comment