Friday, March 9, 2012

Can someone give me information about the Florida Keys?

I am planning to visit the Miami, Florida area in January. I would like to visit the Keys but time only permits me to stay one night. So it would be most of 2 days, and one night. I would like some suggestions for interesting sights, restaurants, and attractions along the way to Key West, or Key West itself. Thank you.Can someone give me information about the Florida Keys?
You haven't listed your age or what you are interested in doing but here goes. I would book a B %26amp; B in Key West as close to Duval Street without being on Duval Street. You can take the Old Town Trolley and Hop on/Hop off all day. Hemingway House is nice as is the nearby lighthouse. The aquarium is top notch and there are all sort of touristy things including shopping in that area. Mallory Square at Sunset if a must do to see the vendors and performers.



There are boats and sea planes that do day trips out to the Dry Tortugas that are fabulous for the day for snorkeling (if you don't mind the cold), beautiful water, and bird watching. It is about $100 but the boat trip includes 2 meals and a tour of the fort on Garden Key.



There are numerous fantastic restaurants and you really can't go wrong with the seafood. The bars up and down Duval street usually have live music and lots of people.



Up and down the drive on the Overseas Highway there are numerous places to stop and look like feeding the Tarpons on the North tip of Lower Matacumbe Key at Robbie's Marina so take your time and enjoy. My favorite restaurants in the Keys include Bentleys at the 81 1/2 Mile Marker in Islamorada, Lazy Days at the 80 Mile Marker in Islamorada, Cafe Sole on Frances Street in Key West, Camille's in Key West and Blue Heaven in Key West.
It has been years since my last trip to the Keys. I was working on a shrimp boat working out of there way back in the eighties. But one of my favorite memories is of all the street vendors/shows on the west side of the island. It used to be called Sunset Beach because you could watch the sun set into the Gulf of Mexico. But there were always stuff like mimes, magicians, and the like. Other than that, it was mostly partying at night. Hope you have a safe and fun trip. Merry Christmas to you and yours.Can someone give me information about the Florida Keys?
Mallory Square, on the west end of Duval st. is the place the previous answer referred to. It's quite a party watching the unusual crowd watch the sunset.

Duval st. is where things happen in Key West and there are lots of restaurants and still a few of the old bars from the days of Hemingway.
KW is so small that if you just hang out around Duval St., you'll see most everything of interest.

The trip down on the Overseas Highway is pretty but you don't have to stop to enjoy it.
I haven't been to the Keys in awhile but here are two of my favorite websites that I look at all the time because I love the Keys!!





http://fla-keys.com/





http://www.florida-keys-guide.com/



I do think you should definitely check out Smather's Park / Beach! It's beautiful. And Duvall Street is a must-see in Key West!

No comments:

Post a Comment