Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I was thinking of living in Key West over my summer vacation...any tips?

I have vacationed in Key West in the past and I absolutely love the town and its people. I've been dying to go back and now that I'm a teacher (from New England), I was thinking of moving to Key West for the summer.



I'd need a job in Key West to be able to stay all summer. I'm also a bartender, so do you know any bars or restaurants that would be willing to hire me for the summer only (from the end of June to the end of August)? And, any tips on where to stay? hotel or rent?



Any help would be greatly appeciated. Thank you!I was thinking of living in Key West over my summer vacation...any tips?
The sad truth for you is that Key West slows down in the summer. Businesses have to let people go because the tourism business is so much less. Bars and restaurants here like for people to work from October to about May, and are happy if their employees choose to leave for the summer and come back again in the fall. That's what we do.



In terms of accommodations you could rent a room in a house and share kitchen and bathroom for about $800 a month, which would probably be your best option. Check craigslist for the Keys and the site www.keysnews.com (local paper) for ads. If you've been here you know that it is expensive to live here, and summer really is the slow season. It's easier to find accommodations in the summer simply because many people do leave for a while. You may be able to find an apartment to sublet for less than going rate. A small furnished one bedroom apartment with all utilities included ranges from $1500 to $2000 a month here. Ours is $1550 a month with everything included, and it's not special.



Feel free to make contact if you need more specific information.

No comments:

Post a Comment