Monday, March 12, 2012

If a used car dealership lies about the car do I have any options or am I screwed?

Last March I purchased a 1999 Jeep Wrangler. The odometer read 115,XXX miles. I did a carfax report and it had never been in an accident and was registered in central Florida all its life to a Pizza restaurant so I assumed it was the delivery vehicle, explaining the high mileage. I had it thoroughly inspected by a neutral mechanic, and he told me that it just needed a tune up. So, I bit the bullet and financed it through the dealerships credit program (this is a small used car dealership in Key West Fl, not any big dealership). Long story short, last month I took it in for a routine oil change in Tampa, where I just moved, and while driving home the motor started smoking badly. So I turned around and went back to the mechanic. He put it on the lift and figured out that the motor was from a 1981-1985 model Jeep wrangler and in the spot where a mechanical fuel pump should be someone has bolted a 4-inch square piece of rubber on the motor to hold the oil in. So, not only is the motor not the original motor but who ever changed it did a crappy job of it. I do have an extended warranty for roughly 8,000 more miles or till next March. Since the dealership lied about the odometer reading isn't that a breach of contract? Do I have any right to sue to get my money back? Can I return the car for every penny I have put into it? What can I do? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.



Also after buying from that dealership I found out through word of mouth that they were known to sell lemons. Thieves.If a used car dealership lies about the car do I have any options or am I screwed?
get everything in writing from the mechanic with pictures and show it to the dealer tell him you want all of your money back or you will go to the DMV and turn him in and sue him
You may have a recourse if you can get it in writing from the dealer what they said, a copy of the carfax history report and what the mechanic has said and speak to a lawyer.If a used car dealership lies about the car do I have any options or am I screwed?
There are laws against this. Check out your state's "lemon law" and it will help you determine what to do. I'm assuming you live in Florida, so try this website:



http://www.800helpfla.com/lemonlaw.html
Trying to find a used car dealer that does not lie is nearly impossible.

How did they lie about the odometer. Replacement engine does not affect the amount of miles the chassis has registered. You should go back to the mechanic that inspected the vehicle prior to purchase and run his/her butt up the flag pole for others to see his/her incompetence.
For the umpteenth time, Lemon Laws do not apply to used vehicle purchases.

Now as far as the vehicle having more miles on than is showing o nthe odometer, you have no proof of that. Just becasue someone says it is not the original engine does not mean it has more miles than showing.
I would think you have a case, I would contact an attorney and file suit against the car dealership. They may have bought the vehicle through an auction and had no idea of the motor issue, I know dealers turn vehicles quickly. You may want to try and call and explain the situation, but if you get a lame duck response I would go straight to the attorney office. Also Carfax has a money back guarantee, you may check with them, the carfax was misleading.
What lie ?



I dont see where they lied to you.



Dealers dont know what motors go in what cars. YOU took it to a mechanic. You satisfied yourself.



And you have an extended warranty.



Most of the time, the customer drives the car longer than the dealer does.



But, just listen to the idiots here. The "LEMON LAW" will protect you. Not really, but apparently half the posters here think that.

No comments:

Post a Comment